Friday 1 June 2012

Kinder Butterfly

27/05/2012

My sister asked me to plan something with a couple of good inclines as training towards our National Three Peaks attempt as there are a fair few of the group who've not done much training. Don't ask.

The best hills within a decent driving distance are at one of my favourite walking haunts - Edale and Kinder so I bounced a few ideas back and forth with her before we settled on a plan - we'd do Kinder Scout. Twice.

From past experiences I've found Jagger's Clough and Grindsbrook to be pretty tough ascents so I knocked up a route that started at Edale, headed East and then up Jagger's Clough, West along the top, descend by Ringing Roger, ascend back up Grindsbrook, further West, South and then East down Jacob's Ladder and back to Edale.

From looking at the pre-plotted route you can see why I've called this 'Kinder Butterfly'...

Kinder Butterfly!

We met at 9am (prompt this time!) but disappointingly there were only 3 of the Three Peakers (Jane, David and Helen) as well as my sister (Tam), her husband (Rob), my two kids (Adam and Jade) and my friend (Paul.)

It was a scorching day and I'd well prepared before we set off. The kids and I were already suncreamed up, had loads of food and water and also new boots and hats where necessary.

Approching the start of Jagger's Clough

Ascending Jagger's Clough

Looking down Jagger's Clough
 
Along the tops

We had a great ascent up Jagger's Clough and a quick snack break at the top. The climb wasn't half as tough as I'd remembered but that's probably because I'm 3 years fitter.

Looking over "Ringing Roger" and down to Edale


From the same location, looking right toward Grindsbrook - our next climb

Someone deserted us at the top, not wanting to descend and re-ascend, which caused us no end of delays two hours later trying to meet up.

After descending we stopped under some trees by a stream to have lunch and a rest before continuing with the long climb up Grindsbrook.


Dexter enjoying our break

Lunchtime!
Adam, Paul, Jade, David, Helen, Jane, Tam and Dexter.

Ascending the lower part of Grindsbrook

I've never done this part upwards, only downwards last year, but it was fabulous. I was still full of energy (we'd only done 7 miles by the top of this part) and really enjoyed bouncing across rocks and the stream. This is where great boots really come into their own. I had to track back a few times as Jade was beginning to struggle in the heat and because she's not actually very fit so I helped pull her up a fair few steep bits to make it much easier. Lots of fun and something I certainly intend to repeat.

At the top we continued in the same direction actually heading directly away from the cars for a couple of miles before turning and descending at Jacob's Ladder where I'd been with the kids only two months earlier. (But this time feeling MUCH fitter.)

Now a long walk back to the car although we did divert from my original route (spoiling my butterfly!) onto the Trans-Pennine-Trail so that we'd end up at the pub and the ice cream shop rather than just back at the car park.

Our actual route.
(Plotted in 3D here so spoiling the 'butterfly' even more.)

In my mind I'd arranged a fabulous route but upon execution I do feel that the last third spoils it a little; once you've done the 'up-down-up' then there are two long walks, split by the last 'down', which have little to offer. Normally these would be lovely walks so perhaps it's just the relative disappointment after the previous exertions?

I have to confess to flagging a little for the last two miles - I'd run out of water after finishing my entire two litres of water but I'd not eaten my Mars Bar. Note to self: it's not much use in the rucksack, it's much more effective in my stomach. However I'm blaming it on the heatwave which, although sapping, wasn't actually as unbearable as I'd feared the day before.

A great walk which I must repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment