Monday 14 March 2011

...and The Gruffalo makes it 700

Sunday afternoon 13/03/2011

n.e.a.r. (a group of Geocachers I've mentioned previously) published a new series today based on The Gruffalo, a famous children's book/poem. This is a child friendly series, created by their young daughter, where each of the four caches is hidden somewhere appropriate for each animal met in the story.

We were having a lazy weekend because Jade had a heavy cold but eventually the lure of a possible FTF, plus the planned fresh air, was too much and we headed off. The plan fell apart quickly and Jade was left at her mother's while I inherited their little sister Olivia - who has more Geocaching eagerness than either of my two have ever had.

We drove up to Wickersley, parked and were quickly on location at the first cache. Whilst hunting, weakly it must be said, Angellica turned up with her two girls Grace (aged 2) and Katie (age 6?). Katie was quickly onto the cache firmly, I suspect, putting Olivia's nose out of joint.

We walked around the short circuit in about 45 minutes basically circling the entire Wickersley Woods. Katie is an expert and got three while Olivia got one, although truth be told I actually found #3 and #4 and then hinted to the kids where I thought they might be - it's a kids series and I wasn't going to spoil it for them!

It was all over far too quickly for Olivia and we headed back to the car.

This last one was Hannah's 600th and that reminded us that I would now be on 699 so we drove off to pick-up a simple drive-by at Ravensfield. This cache has been on my radar for ages but it wasn't really worth the distance to pick-up a single cache. However as we were most of the way there it was an ideal single to bag my 700th - even if the actual cache was something of a let down (sorry but terrible coordinates do bug me.)

[A small walk of just over a mile, 5 caches and 4 joint-FTFs.]

No comments:

Post a Comment