Monday 14 May 2012

Aches, pains and trainers

I'm not sure whether it was the excessive amount of work and pressure I put on my body at the recent bootcamp or whether it was because I had left my running trainers there and did some runs at home in my 'cheap' trainers, but the upshot of it all was that I ruined my knees, ankles and also got shin-splints.

Either way I could hardly walk for a few days the other week and when I did the 22-mile charity walk last week I struggled more with my joints than I've ever struggled before in my life.

Yes my legs ached, my muscles were tight and ready to ping; all the usual stuff when you work hard for a long period, but these were sharp pains and they weren't very nice.

I took a couple of weeks rest from running because of the pain and also because there was still no sign of my running shoes arriving back from the hotel (lost in the post? never posted?) but I did continue to walk and Saturday just gone I did a fantastic days walk in the Lake District (full blog to follow) and took two things away from it:
1) My muscles and stamina are MUCH better than they ever have been.
2) My right ankle is still painful.

So yesterday I went to Meadowhall and treated myself to a new pair of trainers with the fully moulded insert and additional arch support. This involves laser scanning my feet, hot insoles, leather footrests and slow-motion videoing of me running - all clever stuff and a tad pricey but at the end of the day how much for your health? I'm hoping to walk on these joints for another 40 years and after seeing how I actually run I could tell I really needed support.

Fantastic service and hopefully well worth the money. I've been told to wear the insoles in all my footwear including my day-to-day shoes (they are easily removable) but I think the real tests will be running (when my ankle is less painful) and long distance hiking - just like I've got planned on Saturday - more news in a couple of blogs when it's been and gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment