Tuesday 15 May 2012

Walla Crag

On Saturday 12/05/12 I joined a group of Geocachers for a "multiple milestones" day up in the Lakes.

I left the house at 6:15 to meet MikeG and Ska Face (Jon) up at M1 J38 and we then wellied it up the M1, A1 and A66 to Keswick.

Arriving in plenty of time for 9:00 (early it transpired) we hung around waiting for the others who were coming for the arranged 9:30.

Eventually we had Mr Truffles (Ernie, who had organised the outing), The Black Pigs (Dave, Sue and Brook the dog), JCB1705 (Charlie), StevieP, Patdhill (Patrick) and of course MikeG, Ska Face and myself.

I was well prepared having had my porridge, and being well packed with sandwiches, tea and emergency Mars bar, as well as multiple layers of clothes ready for whatever the weather could throw at us.

We set off up Walla Crag, after bagging an easy cache at the side of the layby we'd all used, and made good time ascending, picking up 4 caches in a series on the way up.

The cache Ernie had chosen as the multiple milestoner was BT4 just below the peak. The reason for this was the cache "Walla Crag" at the top had already been found previously by Ska Face so he wouldn't be able to claim it.

BT4 became Mr Truffles' 14,000th cache, StevieP's 12,000th cache and Ska Face's 8,000th cache! What an epic set of milestones!

We took a few photos and then quickly reached the top where MikeG hoisted the Yorkshire flag and we celebrated with photos, truffles and sparkling wine!

Ascent of Walla Crag

The Milestoners

Celebrations at the top

View from the peak looking over Derwent Water
with Basenthwaite Lake in the far distance

After the next cache we decided to alter our plans and head for Bleaberry Fell (to the strains of some terrible singing) and then onto High Seat as they were both "Wainwrights" a few members hadn't bagged.

We ascended from 340 to 450 metres quite gently but then the route from 450 to 590 was pretty steep and was really good exercise.

The sun was beating down and it was very warm when out of the wind so we stopped for a leisurely lunch here and a good old chinwag before a gentle 40m descent and re-ascent up to High Seat peaking at almost 610m

From here it was a long and steady descent for a while before hitting quite a steep descent down a long trail to Ashness Bridge which is supposedly famous for it's beauty and I'm told adorns many calendars and placemats. I wanted to take a photo but it was crowded with people so I left it alone.

Just above this spot was a fantastic little stream with a perfect picnic spot - I must return one day with the kids and a pretty woman! Unfortunately I didn't get a picture but Ernie took this one nearby...


From here we reclimbed the hill a little heading across to rejoin the original BT cache series we'd previously started, albeit now temporarily in reverse. We then descended via an alternative route all the way down to the original road stopping at another allegedly famous photo spot...


We then simply headed back along the road to the cars, changed out of our muddy boots and all met up in a pub on the A66 to celebrate a tiny bit more with a well-deserved pint (Thanks Jon, I owe you!)

Overall it really was a fantastic day, they don't get much better; 9 miles of excellent views, great weather and fabulous company. I felt fitter than I think I ever have with my muscles and stamina bristling with confidence and energy (the only hiccup was my right ankle which still isn't right.)

Somehow we also managed to get 19 caches which I thought really strange; I had guessed we'd only got about 10.

Thanks all for inviting me and here's looking forward to the 15,000th milestone trip!!

No comments:

Post a Comment