Tuesday 20 July 2010

From the dawn of time...

From the dawn of time we came, moving silently down through the centuries. Living many secret lives, struggling to reach the time of the Gathering, when the few who remain will battle to the last. No one has ever known we were among you.....

...until now.


OK so I stole the opening to Highlander for the opening to my new blog but it did seem quite appropriate. Apart from the fighting :-)

This blog is really for me, it's my own way of keeping track of my travels as I geocache around Yorkshire. Of course there are logs and comments that you post with each find, or did-not-find, but often I find myself trying to remain polite when I've been drenched, cold and scrambling around in grotty places at the behest of a cache-owner who should know better.

I once read something on the official forums along the lines of "Look at the place you're placing your cache. Why would someone else come here? If the only reason is to find your cache then you're placing it in the wrong spot." Simple words that I find very moving. I've had the urge to place several caches but I've held off (from the four I currently have) purely because I can't find the ideal spot for someone to visit but also one that is quite easy for me to maintain.

Maintenance. Another bug-bear. Why do people place caches and then ignore DNFs?, ignore notes about soaked or cracked cases? Geocache ownership brings with it some responsibility and it's a better sport all around if those responsible ARE responsible.

Anyway that's the intro to the blog. Now I'm going to write an intro about my Geocaching...

No comments:

Post a Comment