Friday 6 August 2010

Disappointing Morocco...

I'll confess immediately; the title of today's post is misleading. Morocco itself is a fabulous place for a relaxing holiday, we had a week of reading, lazing, sunbathing, tennis and playing hat-frisbee in the sea (it's more erratic and therefore more fun than normal frisbee) and we've come back both worn out and also refreshed.

The only disappointment, and it's really only a very minor one, is that there's no caches there. Despite my best endeavours using the tools available, I only managed to locate 17 in the entire country and the nearest was 60 miles from where we were stopping. I was tempted to hire a car for the day but then I saw how they drive! We did pass close by one on our pre-organised excursion day to Marrakech but it was so hot (42 deg C - cool by our guides standard of 51 deg C the week before!) we didn't want to get lost from the public places and risk losing our way back to the coach in the limited free time available.

No matter, even without caching we had a great break.

Having had a couple of seriously late nights (we landed back at 3:30 am) we've been run down a little so I thought yesterday that I'd ease us back into Geocaching with a couple of short-walk puzzle ones nearby in Rotherham rather than a long walk. We'd already worked out the co-ords for Mystery #4 previously so we drove off to Gibbing Greave Woods (another place we'd never heard of) and had a 1.6m round trip to the cache and back. Hannah found it quickly and we took photos of the lid for the clues to Mystery #5. We stopped on the way back to the car for a Google and solved the Russian numbers to get the co-ords required. We then drove off to Boston Castle where we'd been a couple of weeks previously to find Mystery #5.

A single mile return walk but the cache itself took some finding. It was hidden under some heather and whilst looking we were deluged with ants and midges. It was an absolute nightmare - I'm never normally attacked or bitten but it must be something to do with my tan, or a distant residue of suncream, but I was covered in insects and it was driving me potty. Fortunately Hannah (again) found the tub, we swapped, signed, photographed, re-hid and ran off!

Another two for the counter, and another two by the legendary Mr Truffles leaving only two to go in this mystery series... please excuse me while I go and puzzle...

No comments:

Post a Comment