Thursday 9 September 2010

Damned nights

While Adam was at his guitar lesson last night I went off to Wath Woods to collate the clues for a cache - there's 4 points to visit from which you calculate the 5th and final location.

With limited time (an hour including driving) I set off hoping to get the 4 clues and leave the final point for next Wednesday when Adam is in his next lesson.

I parked up about 7:45 and it was already going dark. I walked down a huge long alley between two housing estates leading into the woods and as I entered the woods and it was now dark.

Bloody nights drawing in.

I got the first two locations easily but by the time I was setting off for the third it was so dark I was struggling to see the path; it was hard to tell whether the dark ground 10 metres in front of me was path or leaves or just a gaping hole. Fortunately most of the paths are of good quality so I walked reasonably quickly and safely to the third clue.

I say 'reasonably quickly' because by now I had spooked myself a little. Here I am, a grown man who's not particularly afraid of the dark, walking through unknown woods in pitch black with no torch and no idea where the surrounding population is. (Although I can always get back to the car using the GPS of course).

I might not be bothered about the dark, per se, but I am a little worried when there are huge CRACKing noises and things running and falling through the trees. Gulp.

I moved on to the 4th location which was on the outside edge of the woods, near a tarmac lane. Sanctuary. I got the clue and stopped to look at the GPS - the road route back to the car was over 2.5 miles long - I only had 20 minutes left and also needed 5 minutes driving time.

So, big deep breath, stop being silly Mark, I set off back through the woods up the fourth side, unknown territory again.

Walking quickly, using the GPS to the car, I was now hoping I wouldn't bump into anyone else, not for my sake, but for THEIR sake... the site of a 40+ year-old man walking alone in the dark and breathing heavily would probably be more than enough to spoil someone else's night!

Geocaching. It's all fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment