Monday 13 September 2010

We Hope to go back

I took the kids to Hope in Derbyshire on Sunday to do one of the series there: Silver Train. This is a simple series of 10 (I think) caches which each have clues in them (alongside a sister series called Treasure Fleet) all leading to one final cache.

I'd not realised this when we set off, having prepared the caches at short notice, so of course I never got all the available clues to the final. Having said that, with the state of most of the logs, and the cracked laminate around some of the clues (making them wet and blurry), I doubt I'd have bothered anyway.

The walk led us east out of Hope towards the railway station and then north up (and up) a hill onto the tops. Unfortunately the walk wasn't circular at this point so once we'd got the uppermost cache we simply turned around and walked back down to a certain point where we diverted from our original path and re-entered Hope from a different direction.

It was a lovely walk of 5 miles and certainly got the thighs aching because of the steep hill. (Lowest elevation was approximately 535 feet, highest was about 1250 feet.)

Rain threatened several times which looked very ominous given that both kids had not brought their coats/macs as usual. When will they ever learn? Fortunately there was only slight drizzle for a few minutes about three times. No harm done.

The kids had been bribed at 50p per find again and it worked, they hardly even complained when I realised I'd walked a tenth of a mile past a cache, while chatting and telling jokes, and we had to go back!

Finally I must apologise for the dreadful blog title, but I really do hope to go back again and do the sister series.

No comments:

Post a Comment